Affectionately known as FOGO heads, Faceoff lacrosse heads are designed specifically for helping players pinch down on the ball at the X, and then flip it up to another player. Flexibility and durability are two important factors. With these and a few other considerations in mind, we’ve compiled this short list of the best lacrosse faceoff heads available online.
Considerations when Choosing the Best Lacrosse Faceoff Heads
There are a few different factors to consider as you choose the best Lacrosse faceoff head. Although you can use an offense head, you’re probably going to perform better in faceoffs if you pick up a specialty head. A few more things to think about:
- Flexibility: While flexible lacrosse heads aren’t always the best choice, they’re essential during faceoff. Because your lacrosse head is going to be smashing down repeatedly, you want one that’s designed to take the shock and mold itself onto the ball, and then regain its original shape after the ball is released.
- Light weight: You might not think a fraction of an ounce would make much of a difference, but when things get intense and you start to feel tired, you’ll be glad you chose a lightweight head.
- Narrow Shape: A wide head is great for catching, but useless for face-off. The best lacrosse faceoff heads have a profile that might remind you of an upside-down butternut squash, with a wider top and a longer, narrower throat.
- Built in Pinch Points: The newest faceoff heads have pinch points engineered into place, so it’s easier to get a grip on the ball and pop it up to the next player.
- Tight Stringing: Many of the best Lacrosse faceoff heads are sold unstrung, which is perfectly fine! Be sure to take care when stringing and knotting your faceoff lacrosse head though; you don’t want to end up losing possession if your ball gets stuck. Remember, Face Off, Get Off!
Brine Clutch Elite Unstrung Lacrosse Head
Designed with a good combination of flexibility and stiffness, the Brine Clutch Elite lacrosse head is designed with a narrow throat that extends up the head and pinches down on the ball during faceoffs. Lightweight but strong enough to take some abuse, this lacrosse head comes in a variety of appealing colors.
- Long throat
- Costs a little more than some other brands
Brine Dictator ST Lacrosse Head
Designed specifically for faceoffs, The Brine Dictator ST lacrosse head features a narrow, stiff throat that helps you cup the ball once you’ve got it. The tapered rail design provides a good, solid feel while guiding the ball to a specially designed pinch point. The neck is ergonomically shaped to allow you to get your hands closer to the ball and keep it under control.
- Easy to string
- Stiff design helps muscle out opponents
- Tends to hourglass after lots of play, similar to other FOGO lacrosse heads
Nike CEO Unstrung Lacrosse Head
The Nike CEO unstrung lacrosse head features an elongated bottom rail that allows for good mid-pocket placement. Stringing is easy, thanks to 16 sidewall string holes and 8 top wall string holes. With reinforced side walls, it offers a good level of durability. The pinched universal head is ideal for faceoffs.
- Strong and durable
- Pocket holds the ball very well
- Warps faster than some other FOGO lacrosse heads
STX Lacrosse Duel U Unstrung Face-Off Lacrosse Head
The STX Lacrosse Duel U is a specialty head designed just for faceoffs. The patent-pending throat plug design minimizes the distance between the player’s hand and the ball, allowing for greater control. Special flex zones are located throughout the midsection, and are complemented by stiffer sidewall braces that provide a good level of stability, both during faceoff and when picking up groundballs. An extra screw hole lets players add a third screw for even better stability and less rattling. This lacrosse faceoff head is compatible with NFHS and NCAA regulations.
- Very short throat
- Good flexibility for pinching
- A few reviewers feel that the flexibility level becomes excessive after break-in
Warrior Noz 2X
Click Here for Pricing, Pictures, and Reviews on Amazon.com
A lightweight offensive lacrosse head with a stiff feel when it’s needed and the right amount of flexibility for faceoffs, the Warrior Noz 2X has a patented flare design that’s designed to give players an advantage at the Faceoff X. The bottom rail is designed to encourage mid to low pocket placement, so balls can be controlled easily and released quickly when the time comes.
- Excellent ball control
- Ultra light weight, yet durable
- One report of a head that broke after a few months of use